Monday, April 23, 2007

Took The Words Right Out of My Mouth

I was going to make a large eloquent post about how great this team is to watch right now. But Roch Kubatko said it so much better in his blog today.

I'm preparing to sleep on the sidewalk outside the ticket window tonight so I can be first in line for playoff tickets. Please don't trip over me.

Deep thoughts, by Chris Gomez:

"It's a lot more fun in here. You have fun, you go out and win and it carries over to how everyone feels about themselves. The better we play, the more we think that we have a chance. Not that we had bad guys last year, but it's a closer group. I've read in places where it says how much fun we're having in here, and I think that's really true. I think everyone looks forward to coming into the clubhouse and just hanging out with each other and having lunch on the road. I don't know if that translates into wins. I never used to think it did, but now I'm wondering if it might. It's a good atmosphere to be in right now."

I tested him with the chicken-and-egg theory, as it relates to baseball.

Does good clubhouse chemistry come from winning, or does it lead to winning?

"I always thought the winning would come first, and I think that's still the case," Gomez said. "If you're losing a bunch of games in a row, you're not going to have the music up. You want to tone it down a little bit, how much fun you're having. Who knows which one comes first? It's good to have them both."

Gomez does know that the looser you are, the better you play. Makes sense to me.

And believe me, this is a loose group of guys. The fun never stops in the clubhouse. Kevin Millar is a riot. Guys gather around to hear his stories, and I'm talking about everyone, not just a select group. Miguel Tejada and Melvin Mora were just as amused today by one of his hilarious anecdotes as Jaret Wright and Jamie Walker. You look around the place, and there are smiles everywhere.

I've walked into that same clubhouse on many, many occasions in the past and felt like I was entering a library. Or a morgue. But it's so different this year.

I love this clubhouse. And I hope more fans embrace this team, no matter what happens this summer. The turnout was better today - more than 27,000 on a beautiful Sunday afternoon against a division rival - and the crowd was loud. I miss the good times, when it was a rush to sit in the press box and hang on every pitch. And when the only noise in the place didn't involve Peter Schmuck tearing into another bag of peanut M&Ms.

(Sorry, Pete, couldn't resist)

The Ravens can wait. They're not going anywhere. Come out and support this team. Ride the wave as long as you can. Who knows where it's going to take us? The wipeout could come later this week. Or next month. Or after the break. Or never.

In the meantime, at least appreciate what a good group of guys are representing this city.

OK, I'm done goosing you. I promise.

No comments: